Study Shaolin Kung Fu at the original Shaolin Temple Monastery in China under Shaolin Warrior Monks
For the first time in history, international students are invited to study in the Shaolin Temple and experience training and life in the monastery. Currently the only place in the original Shaolin Temple that Shaolin warrior monks receive international guests to train, students will gain unique insight into life training in the temple and have the opportunity to live, study and eat meals with the Shaolin monks.
Training is led by Master Shi Yan Chen, 34th generation Shaolin warrior monk, a leader of the Shaolin Temple overseas performance team and general master of Shaolin warrior monks. Master Shi Yan Chen is working with the support of the head Abbot Venerable Shi Yong Xin, who has expressed happiness at the opportunity to receive international students to train at the Temple.
Students who come to study will be able to learn Shaolin Kung Fu, Sanda, Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation, Qin'na, medical pressure points and the 72 secret skills like iron coat, iron palm and standing on two fingers etc. Students also have the chance to deepen their cultural understanding of China and Buddhism through optional classes in Chinese Mandarin, Calligraphy, Buddhism, Acupuncture and Massage and the Traditional Tea ceremony. Students attending will also receive a free tour inside the historical parts of the Shaolin Temple.
The Shaolin Temple is situated in the west of Songshan Mountain ranges, Dengfeng City, Henan Province. Against the backdrop of Wuru Peak of Shaoshi Mountain, it is surrounded with forests and hills as its natural defence. It is the birthplace of Zen Buddhism and Shaolin Kung Fu, the historic architectural complex including the Shaolin Temple was added into UNESCO World Heritage List. It gives students a picturesque and peaceful landscape for training physically and mentally.
The masters at the shaolin temple kungfu academy are authentic Shaolin monks from the original Shaolin Temple. The students will get to experience what life is like for monks in the Shaolin temple. The students here will not only study kung fu, but also can enjoy the ancient culture, historical places and tourist attractions here.
Training is led by Master Shi Yan Chen, a 34th generation Shaolin warrior monk, a leader of the Shaolin Temple overseas performance team and general master of Shaolin warrior monks. Master Shi Yan Chen is working with the support of the head Abbot Venerable Shi Yong Xin, who has expressed happiness at the opportunity to receive international students to train at the Temple.
Master Shi Yan Chen (Wei Shifu) is a 34th generation Shaolin Disciple and general master of the Shaolin Warrior Monks. He joined the Shaolin Temple in 1995 and followed the Shaolin Temple Abbot Shi Yong Xin to learn Buddhism and Shaolin Kungfu. Ten years of dedicated study with the great master gave him the wisdom of the teachings of Buddhism. He makes an excellent Shaolin Warrior monk who has great knowledge of both kungfu and buddhism. He is a great master of both the Shaolin 18 kinds of Weapons and the 72 secret skills. He has been invited to the U.S., Canada, Germany, India, Australia, UK, Netherlands, Russia, and France to give performances and teachings on Shaolin Kungfu and has received lots of good passive comments from the Kungfu professions both at home and abroad. He specializes in Shaolin fist forms like Hong Quan, Chaoyang Quan; Shaolin Weapon Forms like Shaolin Staff (Gun), Shaolin Spear (Qiang), Double Swords (Shuang Dao) and Double Whips (Shuang Bian); animal forms like Tiger, Eagle and Snake.
Master Shi Yan Hao (Huang Shifu), a 34th generation Shaolin Disciple, was born into a Kungfu family and started to learn Kungfu from his father at the age of 3. He went to the Shaolin Temple in 1996 and became the apprentice of Abbot Shi Yong Xin. He later joined the Shaolin Temple Warrior Monk group in 2002 and is now one of the main coaches. He is highly skilled at Shaolin traditional fist forms such as Shaolin Xiaohong Quan, Dahong Quan, Xiaopao Quan, Pao Chui, Qixing Quan, Meihua mantis, Chang Hu Xinyi Men, Taizu Chang Quan and with weapons like broadsword, straight sword and staff etc. Master Shi Yanhao is also very accomplished in the internal martial arts of Taichi, Bagua and Baji. He has been to the USA, Canada, Germany, Indonesia, Australia, the UK, Korea and to Thailand many times for performances and teaching.
The following is a rough guide for shaolin kung fu training. Each student will learn kung fu at a different rate depending on his/her initial skill level and dedication. The training plan of other Chinese martial arts, such as Wing Chun, Tai chi, Mantis, Bagua, Xingyi, etc, is similar to shaolin's training plan.
- Short term study (1 week - 3 months) Learn shaolin kung fu history and theory, basic punching and kicking with flexibilty training and an introduction to Chi kung and Tai Ji. 1-6 Shaolin fist forms, application, Chinese kick boxing with two person sparring and 1 or 2 basic weapons such as the staff, whip, sword or broadsword as well as basic Chinese conversation, Mandarin, Taoism, Buddhism, Calligraphy, acupuncture and massage. All students have the option to learn hard Chi kung which involves conditioning areas of your body for fighting such as your hands and students who study for 1-3 months and cultivate Chi kung will be able to break a house brick in two with their bare hands.
- Medium term study (4 months - 1 year)Learn shaolin kung fu history and theory, punching and kicking with flexibilty training and a more indepth study of Chi kung and Tai Ji. 6-15 Shaolin fist forms including paired practice, application and the option of learning an animal form, Qin na, Chinese kick boxing with two person sparring and more advanced weapons such as spear, double spear, two-section staff, three-section staff, double sticks, double canes (tonfa) as well as Chinese conversation Mandarin, Taoism, Buddhism, Calligraphy, acupuncture and massage. More advanced levels of hard Chi kung can be reached including breaking wooden staffs over your legs and arms with no injury and the breaking of house bricks using your elbow or knee.
- Long term study (over 1 year - 2 years)Learn shaolin kung fu history and theory, punching and kicking with flexibilty training and advanced Chi kung methods, Tai Ji and Qin na. Over 20 Shaolin fist forms including application, advanced forms such as tiger, leopard, monkey, snake, crane, mantis, eagle and drunken boxing. Advanced weapon paired practice and advance weapon forms such as double broadsword, monkey staff, double hooks, drunken sword, bull whip, southern staff, southern sword and double chain whip as well as Chinese language, pressure points, massage therapy and Buddhism. Advanced levels of Chi kung can be reached including using your Chi to heal illness and injury and advanced hard Chi kung such as breaking an iron bar over your head or hammering a nail into wood using the palm of your hand. Students who wish to concentrate their study on the internal martial arts and Chi kung can study Taiji, Xingyi and Bagua palm.
Of course, to what degree each student will learn depends on the student's physical and mental abilities, desire, and dedication to practice. Students can buy different kinds of traditional martial arts books, martial clothes, and martial equipment with the help of the academy.
Besides the time off at the weekends, students are given a weeks' holiday for each of the following: Christmas, New Year and Chinese Lunar New Year. At this time, they can stay at the school (and train if they choose), travel or return home.
|6:00 - 7:00||Chikung/Taichi||Chikung/Taichi||Chikung/Taichi||Chikung/Taichi||Chikung/Taichi|
|8:30 - 10:00||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training|
|8:30 - 10:00||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training|
|10:30 - 11:30||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training||Morning Training|
|14:30 - 16:00||Afternoon Training||Afternoon Training||Afternoon Training||Afternoon Training||Afternoon Training|
|16:30 - 17:30||Chikung & Xingyi||Chikung & Xingyi||Chikung & Xingyi||Chikung & Xingyi||Calligraphy & Taoism|
|19:00 - 19:40||Mandarin||Mandarin||Mandarin||Acupuncture Massage||Buddhism Theory|
The academy provides instruction to beginner as well as more advanced students who are already proficient in martial arts and seeking additional or higher-level kung fu training.
- Students who are healthy in both mentality and physical situation and love martial arts, regardless of your gender, age, religion, country, are all welcomed to come here to learn Shaolin kung fu martial arts.
- Students who have never studied martial arts before should not expect to perform intermediate or advanced kung fu in one or two months. However, they will be introduced to Shaolin (the basics of Shaolin traditional Chi Kung, two short Shaolin fist forms, one weapon routine, elementary combat and one or two Tai Chi forms). Alternatively, students can choose Wingchun or Preying Mantis and will learn basics, a routine, one weapon form and Qi Kung. They should be able to grasp Wingchun,BaJi,Shaolin, Xingyi, Bagua or Mantis boxing basic gong fu and decide whether what they have learnt is the right path for them to follow in the future, training for longer periods of time.
- Students who have already seriously trained in shaolin kung fu for several years or more can expect to learn and perform some of the more difficult kung fu movements, combat skills, higher internal kung fu as well as developing the underlying morality of the martial arts. We also welcome advanced students wishing to learn through challenging the masters.
- Don't worry about age holding you back if you are middle aged or elderly. Many Chinese martial arts are suitable for middle age and old age people to learn, such as Ancient Qi Gong (Ba duan jin, yi jin jing, Five animal style and meditation that is not only good for health, but also helpful for your level of Kung Fu and for healing illnesses), Tai Chi fist / straight sword / fan, Xingyi fist, Bagua palm, Ba Chi fist and mantis boxing. Training schedules and exercises are customized to fit to you, according to your needs and abilities. There is no maximum of age to come, but there is minimum of it. You have to get an escort if you are not able to travel alone.
- Longer kung fu training periods (after you have learnt for 5 years here) are available for those who find they want to advance their skills to higher levels in martial arts. However, the decision is made by the masters as to whether they will extend training periods, according to the student's apparent skills, trustworthiness, potential and interest shown.
- Most of the cooking is Chinese style. In the morning, we have milk, soybean milk, porridge, oats, bread and eggs. For lunch and dinner, we serve Chinese dishes including three dishes with meat, one egg dish, one vegetable dish, fried chips, rice and soup; either egg, seafood or sweet. We also have Chinese dumplings and noodles once a week, and seafood, fried fish and bacon (Chinese style) several times a week. The cook will provide chilies for those who would like some. There are big feasts at festivals when students and masters eat together. (dinning room)
- Note: Vegetarians will be catered for.
- Accommodation and food quality are very good. The nutrition of food is enough to satisfy with the requirement of students. For accommodation, generally, one to two students share one room.
- Power training equipment, a set of fitness equipment, wooden dummies, punching bag, mats, pads, gloves and bodyguards are provided for by the academy. However, you can buy some other kinds of weapons by yourself when you need them in practice.
- After students' arrival, the long-term students will be issued a monk's training suit. The academy provides tableware and bedding, Washing machines and hot shower facilities. Items of personal hygiene and grooming are the student's responsibility. On arrival at the academy, the new student will be assigned a translator to make the transition to academy life as smooth as possible.
- The academy offer public pay phone and internet for students to keep contact with family and friends.
- Students can have the chance to have real monk's meals in the Temple's dinning hall.
The students coming to the academy can not only can study kung fu in thousands years of the ancient shaolin temple with monks, but also can enjoy the ancient culture, historical places and tourist attractions here.
The city, Zhengzhou,where we are located is the provincial capital of Henan province in central China. The city is full of newly planted trees and modern buildings .It is more famous in Asia as the birthplace of the Zen Buddhism movement as well as Zhengzhou is the Chinese anicent capital of six dynasties, the visitors can enjoy and study the ancient culture.For those people who travel shaolin temple for the short-term ,they can live in the hotel near the school,and also can learn some kung fu,Chinese culture,massage and acupuncture here.
One-time non-refundable application Fee (paid prior to attend training at the Academy): $100.
Monthly Tuition Fee - paid when the student arrives at the Academy: $380.
Monthly Room & Board - includes meals, lodging, hot showers, washing machine use, and also includes training equipment such as mats, pads, gloves and body protection. - paid when the student arrives at the Academy: $300. In order to motivate students to learn longer, the tuition will be $20 less each month as it goes on.
The academy provides an all-terrain vehicle, driver, and translator as a free pick-up service from Xin Zheng airport or Zheng Zhou train station to the academy.
A one-time Academy Administration Fee is paid when the student arrives at the Academy. For students who register for one month training, the administration fee is $200 and for students who register for two months or longer the administration fee is $300. Administration fees are non-refundable.
Students who wish to stay at the academy for one yearor longer will receive a discount. Payment for a year is $5480 including food, accommodation, training and administration fee. Total cost, if paid annually (not including the online application fee ) is:
$5480 USD for the first year
$4780 for the second year
$3880 for the third year
$3480 for the forth year
$3180 for the fifth year
* Except for these initial payments there are no other excessive costs.
* If you leave the academy early for some reason, you can get a refund.
* Students can decide the length of stay after trying few days and then after a decision is made payment is required.
* Refunds are not given to students who book for a month or less.
* The tuition will be changed as the fluctuation of development of Chinese economy and currency changing.
Kung fu training in China, learn traditional external & internal Shaolin kung fu (under Shaolin masters of authentic lineage), also includes various fist forms and weapons forms along with their applications, contact sparring and Chi kung. Along with traditional Shaolin Gongfu (kung fu) the academy offers to teach the internal styles, such as Taiji (Tai Chi), Wing chun, Wudang and Mantis boxing,(all the kungfu styles mentioned above have their corresponding classes here, meanwhile the students can choose more than one style of kung fu to learn. Both male and female students who are 16 or older are welcomed to come and study. Younger students may be accepted if they are accompanied by a parent or an older relative (brother/sister). No previous martial arts experience is required. Only dedication to learn and a positive attitude. However, students with experience in martial arts may be able to learn quicker.
Accommodation and food quality are very good. The nutrition of food is enough to satisfy with the requirement of students. For accommodation, generally, one to two students share one room.
Please fill the application form and pay the application fee according to the website 1-6 months before you come to the academy. We will confirm your information after we get your application and application fee and will make some preparations for your arrival.
For Visa: You can apply for a tourist visa before you come to China. If you need any help extending it, we can help you extend it to more than 10 months when you get to the academy. We can also help you change your visa to a student one if necessary, year by year. However, please be aware that the maximum duration for a stay in this kung fu Academy is five years.
Many students want to get a student visa when they come here, and it is a requirement that you obtain an invitation letter and the JW202 form (when applying for the student visa). Once you apply for your student visa the academy would help send out both of these two forms to you. However, it can be difficult for us to get the JW202 and is an extremely lengthy process. In the past we have also had some problems with people who in the end for what ever reason didn't turn up. Unfortunately we had already spent a lot of time and money applying for their JW202 forms. Therefore, we strongly suggest that you apply for a tourist visa instead which really is the easiest way. If you need any help applying for your tourist visa, such as with the invitation letter, please let us know and we will fax it to you or send it to you through the post office.
Here are some helpful links:China Embassy in the U.S. - FAQ
China Embassy in the U.S. - Consulate Locations in the U.S.
China Embassy in UK - http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk
China Embassy in Canada - www.chinaembassycanada.org/eng/lsfw/
China Embassy in Australia -http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/
China Embassy in Mexico - http://www.embajadachina.org.mx/esp/
China Embassy in Germany - http://de.chineseembassy.org/det/
China Embassy in France-http://fr.chineseembassy.org/fra/
China Embassy in New Zealand - http://www.chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/
China Embassy in India - http://www.chinaembassy.org.in/eng/
China Embassy in Switzerland - http://www.china-embassy.ch/eng/
China Embassies - Locations around the world
New students who are saving to come to the academy have asked if there is anything they should do to prepare themselves. The best thing is to prepare yourself physically: proper diet, sprinting and long distance running (2 km a day or so), swimming, cycling, skipping, ping pong, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. stamina training will help new students learn martial arts faster and easier. Any sport or hobby that breaks down muscle tissue so you can rebuild it, stretches and strengthens your muscles, improves your breathing and enjoyable to perform, is good to do.
You can bring with you to the school your sports-like clothes, loose trousers and things you need from home. In classes, the translator will attend and masters here can speak simple English. If you want to go out and do something in your spare time, the translator can also help you with that.
Students who come to study will be able to learn Shaolin Kung Fu, Sanda, Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation, Qin'na, medical pressure points and the 72 secret skills like iron coat, iron palm and standing on two fingers etc. Students also have the chance the deepen their cultural understanding of China and Buddhism through optional classes in Chinese Mandarin, Calligraphy, Buddhism, Acupuncture and Massage and Traditional Tea ceremony. Students attending will also receive a free tour inside the historical parts of the Shaolin Temple.
Students also get free entrance to the Shaolin Temple, where they will be shown around the temple by a Shaolin monk. It is also possible to visit the Damo cave.
If you’d like to attend training at the academy, please fill out the following application form in details and click on the "submit" button below. You will be notified in two days whether you are accepted or not for training. If you didn’t receive the reply or can not send the application form online, please copy the items and send it to email@example.com or call us at 0086-151-5373-0991.
We recommend that you submit the form one to six months prior to your planned arrival date in order to finish all the travel preparations, such as visa and plane tickets.
If you are accepted, your next step is to pay the $100.USD non-refundable application fee to guarantee a place for you at the academy on the date you desire to arrive.
Please pay $100 application fee through bank transfer according to the bank infos below:
BANK: BANK OF CHINA DENGFENG SUB-BRANCH
ADD. : NO186 SHAOLIN ROAD DENGFENG CITY HENAN PROVINCE CHINA
NAME: WEI FU QIANG
ACC. NO. : 6013823400338490596
TEL. NO. : 0086-150-9312-9231
If you have paid application fee, please let us know your transfer date together with your name in transfer through email.
When paying your Application fee, if possible check for your nearest sub branch of Bank of China, as there will be no extra transfer charges and the transaction will be faster and more reliable. Otherwise aim to use Bigger Banks such as HSBC who are better suited for international transfers.
Big Notice: The Application Form Online is updating now, please don’t submit the application Form online, please copy the items and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org directly first.
If you didn’t receive our reply within two days, please email again to let us know or call 0086-151-5373-0991.
Copyright © 2011-2012 Shaolin Temple Academy China
All Rights Reserved
Shaolin Temple. Dengfeng City, Henan Province, China.